Everyone feels down from time to time, but long-term depression is something that affects too many people around the world. According to the World Health Organization, more than 350 million people around the world suffer from depression, and about 7% of the population of the United States suffers as well. There are many prescription medications to treat the disorder, but recently people have discovered that cannabis does a better job without many of the harmful side effects.
There are multiple ways to treat yourself with CBD, but the most effective way to do so is by CBD oil, which we’ll describe below.
What is CBD and How Does it Treat Depression?
- Causes receptor 5-HT1A to fire more effectively, releasing serotonin
- Increases serotonin production
- Relieves anxiety
There are two major substances found in cannabis that have effects on the body: THC and CBD. THC is the compound that makes users of marijuana feel “high”, while CBD is the substance that has been shown to have restorative and other health benefits to users.
There are many medical uses for CBD, but two of the best uses that have been documented by scientists are depression and anxiety. This is due to how the chemical impacts the brain. Conclusive medical studies have showed that CBD works to get the serotonin receptor 5-HT1A to fire better. For those who don’t know, serotonin is a chemical in the brain that brings feelings of pleasure. By getting those receptors to fire, serotonin is delivered effectively, thus curbing depression in users.
Those results are some of the same that we have seen in antidepressants like Zoloft, Citalopram, and others. Unlike those, though, there’s no real side effects with CBD, and you can’t overdose on the medication either. This is key to treating depression and really gives a healthier outlook to those who need to use a medication to treat the disorder long term.
How to Take CBD Oil to Treat Depression
CBD oil is a substance that sees the useful cannabinoids extracted from cannabis and put into a carrying agent. This oil is then consumed by users, with patients able to take it by:
- Rubbing it into your skin- You can rub a small amount of the substance onto your skin and it will absorb in over a short period of time. This generally is used for joint pain but can be effective for depression as well.
- Oral ingestion- You can take CBD oil orally by either dropping it on your tongue or putting it underneath the tongue. Going under the tongue is the best way to apply it, as it’s the fastest way to get it into your system. Unlike topical use, ingesting CBD oil orally will get you feeling better in a few minutes.
- Vaporizing- You can vaporize CBD oil if you have the right carrying agent and proper vaporizer. This method is fast and discreet, allowing you to use while out in public. The results aren’t as long lived as with oral use, but they do work quite well.
CBD oil is one of the best ways to treat depression, and there are medical studies proving this. If you choose to use CBD, you have a variety of ways to take it, although taking it orally is likely your best bet.